Wednesday, 02 February
A Bad Week

Paula Abdul was just on The Daily Show. The wife: "Is she drunk?"

I watched a little longer.

Skot: "My God. She's wasted!"

It's stuff like this that makes you want to hug your television. I imagine her getting chided by moral authority MC Skat Cat. "Not cool! Not cool to be drunk on TV! Hey, did you know I can lick my own asshole?"

Eh. Not much is funny this week. On Friday, dozens of us will be going to a funeral; Bronko's, whom I talked about last time. And IN THE NEWS has been the awful shooting death of Nicole DuFresne. This has apparently made CNN, which is a real broil temperature for our little theater scene here.

The thing I'm not supposed to say is, really, that I don't much care. I didn't know her. I'm sorry for my friends who did. But most of them didn't, from what I can tell. And yet local bulletin boards are clogged with grief, to which I say: Great! Except when I see comments like, "I never met Nicole, but . . . . "

Well, stop. Why are you here, anyway?

The most nauseating comment I've seen so far was a lamentation that the media never focuses on theater unless something crappy like this happens. As if this is somehow relevant. It's a moribund art form. Get used to this. This was not a death about "your community," or "our collective fuckall" or anything else. It's just a stupid, senseless death. It has nothing to do with our "community," and P.S., we've never had one in the first place.

I'm sorry. I'm certainly sorry for Nicole. The rest of the "theater community" can frankly go to hell. I know I'll get torched for this. I don't care.

I've got a funeral to attend on Friday.

Comments

A hearty amen.
I'm a theatre nerd - a talentless one, so it's all vicarious for me, but it's enough - and of course I was sad to hear about Ms. DuFresne's death. It's sad when someone so young dies, it's even sadder (in my opinion) when it's because of some asshat's violent actions. I'm sure she was a lovely woman, but theatre nerd or no, THIS IS NOT MY GRIEF. I'm part of "the theatre community" (or whatever. That's stupid.) but...well, you pretty much said it all.
I'm sorry that Nicole is dead, and I'm sorry for the pain those who knew her are experiencing. My heart truly goes out to them.

Comment number: 005468   Posted by: CG on February 2, 2005 01:01 AM from IP: 70.18.193.161

A hearty amen.

Comment number: 005469   Posted by: CG on February 2, 2005 01:02 AM from IP: 70.18.193.161

A hearty amen.

Comment number: 005470   Posted by: CG on February 2, 2005 01:32 AM from IP: 70.18.193.161

Forgive the double post. I hate this computer.

Comment number: 005471   Posted by: CG on February 2, 2005 01:33 AM from IP: 70.18.193.161

I think it's okay to be wasted on TV if you're interesting. Abdul was just incredibly grating.

Comment number: 005472   Posted by: Elayne Riggs on February 2, 2005 04:09 AM from IP: 68.161.21.140

My friends and I couldn't figure out if she was loaded or if she had another injection of botox right before the show. Whatever it was, she was actually able to make Jon Stewart boring. That was easily the worst Daily Show interview I've seen in quite some time.

Comment number: 005473   Posted by: Fissell on February 2, 2005 10:22 AM from IP: 24.107.19.153

It's not your computer, CG. The comment system is just screwed up. It happens pretty much every day.

Comment number: 005474   Posted by: Skot on February 2, 2005 11:14 AM from IP: 66.150.9.2

There's definitely "something" going on with Miz Paula. Best Week Ever was ragging on her on last Friday and questioning whether she's just totally gone nutso from the stress or what. She certainly seems under the influence of something questionable, although perhaps it was just her own meandering insanity.

Comment number: 005475   Posted by: S on February 2, 2005 01:21 PM from IP: 67.42.103.14

How odd that I was unableto post a comment with "v" "h" "1" as in the name of the channel. How did spammers manage to ruin that one? I thought it was the fact that I orginally used the term "bonkers" rather than "nutso." How quaint.

Comment number: 005476   Posted by: S on February 2, 2005 01:23 PM from IP: 67.42.103.14

Having done this earlier this week, I think the multiple posts are coming from people hitting the "Post" button multiple times, while waiting through the lag that happens after hitting said button.

Comment number: 005477   Posted by: beige on February 3, 2005 12:49 AM from IP: 24.19.48.164

You don't care about Nicole's death, and most of her friends don't care about Bronk's. Lovely; congrats to everyone.

Comment number: 005478   Posted by: P on February 3, 2005 05:06 PM from IP: 128.95.169.35

The American Idol recap at Television Without Pity has Paula's former employment monologue from TDS transcribed word for word (starts here; it was just weird watching it unfold, but when you read it, it suddenly becomes hilarious.

Comment number: 005479   Posted by: mercybuttercup on February 6, 2005 08:51 PM from IP: 63.202.150.44

Thanks, Skot. Nice to know that everything I touch doesn't necessarily turn to crap because I touched it.

Comment number: 005480   Posted by: CG on February 7, 2005 08:51 PM from IP: 70.18.193.161